"CATAPULT THE PROPOGANDA." -George W. Bush

Monday, November 28, 2005

It Ain't Much, But It's All I've Got Left

MUSIC +++ FILM +++ SPORT +++ PHOTO +++ LINK +++ POORLY REASONED POLITICAL OPINION AND STUPID JOKE

FLM
"Hello. I'm Johnny Cash."

Okay, you caught me: I'm not Johnny Cash. Doesn't mean I can't get drunk on whiskey, pretend his death made me want to finally drop my steel drivin' hammer, and walk around the house alone, saying somberly, "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash."

That's about what watching Walk The Line will do for you. It'll make you wish that you were the man in black, even though Johnny himself clearly wanted to shed his skin at least half the time.

The flick has its flaws. Cash was a broad-shouldered country boy, not a cleft-lipped waif. But supposedly Cash himself had a hand in choosing Joaquin Phoenix to play him, and the actor brings genuine momentum and confusion to the role, along with a talent for lip-synching that allows us to make the leap of faith as much as can be expected (although every time Joaquin so much as touches a guitar, some girl's head in the audience mysteriously blocks our view.)

Overall, the film never quite lives up to the expectations you built when you saw the preview with Joaquin/Johnny pointing his guitar "bang!" like a gun on the Folsom Prison stage. And, because your early country and western stars only had so many paths they could travel, the plot reads like a knockoff of last year's Ray: hard country work, dead brother, stardom, pills, flashbacks, acceptance, resurrection.

But, along with a performance you never thought Reece Witherspoon could pull off, Walk The Line provides one thing no other film will.

It makes you walk around in your undies at one in the morning, clear your throat, and confess to your cat,

"Hello. I'm Johnny Cash."

SPRT
Okay, thank you, I know the Niners are terrible. That seemed to be the point, finally, of their game this week: to prove that, "on any given Sunday," the local squad can hang with a division leader -- or cave to a cellar dweller. But their latest collapse had the following upshots:

1) Jeremy Newberry has finally been told to go home and get fixed, meaning he'll get a couple of pieces of dried-out kitchen sponge surgically inserted between his knee bone and his other knee bone, as well as all his various shoulder bones, all of which have been smashed around and rearranged to rub on each other as much as possible.
1-A) Newberry's absence means that Eric Heitman shuffles over to center, leaving rookie draftee David Baas to enter the starting lineup at guard. With Adam Snyder and Justin Smiley performing reasonably well, Kwame Harris and poor coaching are now the only excuses for the Niners' miserable running game and atrocious pass protection.

2) Alex Smith finally gets to step in for Ken Dorsey. Between Dorsey and Smith, there's a good quarteback to be had: take Dorsey's calm leadership and check-down skills, and add Smith's arm and legs. Until that surgical graft is possible, we'll just have to take it on faith that Smith lacks only experience on his road to leadership.

In the meantime, the leftover quarterback -- the one with Smith's panicky glare and fumblitis and Dorsey's ridiculous lack of physical talent -- is now the worst player in history.

MR

QWTOFDY
"Show my head to the people; it is worth seeing."
-Last words of Georges Jacques Danton

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Martin K. Rowicky your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on poker chip keychain I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to It Ain't Much, But It's All I've Got Left, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about poker chip keychain. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at poker chip keychain. You never know you may find some good deals!

29.11.05

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog Martin K. Rowicky. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of ceramic poker chips and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on ceramic poker chips. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit It Ain't Much, But It's All I've Got Left again!!

30.11.05

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. Martin K. Rowicky I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on canada poker chips and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across It Ain't Much, But It's All I've Got Left but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to canada poker chips. I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

30.11.05

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Martin K. Rowicky, I was searching for the best information on how-to-buy-a-franchise, and fortunately found your great site. It Ain't Much, But It's All I've Got Left is not exactly what I’m looking for, but it did get my attention. I see now how I found your page when I was looking for how-to-buy-a-franchise related information. I sure am glad I stopped buy even though It Ain't Much, But It's All I've Got Left wasn’t what I was looking for this time. Great site, thanks!

30.11.05

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Martin K. Rowicky, been looking for the latest info on get rid of boil and found It Ain't Much, But It's All I've Got Left. Though not exactly what I was searching for, it did get my attention. Interesting post, thanks for a great read.

1.12.05

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Martin K. Rowicky, taking a little time today to see what plastic comb will send me to that is interesting. It Ain't Much, But It's All I've Got Left looks interesting and is a great read. Will also try plastic comb in my e-travels. Have a super day!

3.12.05

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Martin K. Rowicky, taking a little time today to see what solid wood will send me to that is interesting. It Ain't Much, But It's All I've Got Left looks interesting and is a great read. Will also try solid wood in my e-travels. Have a super day!

3.12.05

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Martin K. Rowicky, taking a little time today to see what plastic comb will send me to that is interesting. It Ain't Much, But It's All I've Got Left looks interesting and is a great read. Will also try plastic comb in my e-travels. Have a super day!

3.12.05

 

Post a Comment

<< Home